the8fest is made possible through the generous support of: The Canada Council for the Arts,
The Ontario Arts Council and the City of Toronto through the Toronto Arts Council as well as our generous community sponsors and partners.
the8fest 12 Call for Submissions!
We are pleased to announce that the8fest is soliciting for submissions to this year’s festival:
the8fest seeks your 8mm, Super 8, 9.5mm or other small gauge film projects (such as loops and installations) for our 2019 festival being held January 25th to 27th, 2019.
You can submit your work using our form:
Feel free to reach out to email@example.com if you have any questions.
Please share this call far and wide!
Deadline: September 29, 2018.
the8fest is hiring!
the8fest • Festival Coordinator
Part Time: Flexible hours per week dependent on festival schedule
Salary: Renewable, 12-month contract starting at $21/hour
Closing Date: Wednesday, June 21, 2018 at Midnight
Start Date: Tuesday, July 3, 2018
- Overseeing the business operation of the festival, including the maintenance of all records of the8fest
- Ensuring adherence to the8fest policies and procedures
- Bookkeeping, preparing cheques, banking, and having a handle on the financial state of the8fest
- Preparing and submitting applications to appropriate arts granting bodies, in consultation with the Board of Directors
- Communicating and preparing information to the Board of Directors through the facilitation of contracts
- Organizing the submissions process and selection jury, communicating with the filmmakers, curators, Board of Directors, contract staff, and granting bodies
- Coordinating print traffic around the festival and during year-round the8fest events; this includes: handling delicate, often camera-original prints with care, and arranging with artists the delivery of incoming and outgoing prints
- Preparing and supervising the compilation and fabrication of the8fest catalogue, poster, and other promotional materials, in addition to overseeing the distribution of these materials
- Promoting the festival through marketing, maintaining the festival’s archive, website, and social media sites
- During the three-day festival, being available to coordinate the festival and to serve as the face of the8fest
- The Festival Coordinator will need to introduction each program during the festival
- Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors
- Post-secondary degree in film, arts administration, or equivalent
- Excellent knowledge of film and contemporary art practices
- Administrative skills and experience multi-tasking and time management
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to lead and delegate tasks to the festival team
- Experience working in a fast-paced festival environment
- Understand working collectively in an artist-run or non-profit cultural organization
- A solid working knowledge of various computer applications including word processing, spreadsheets, InDesign, web management, social media, and graphics
- Fundraising skills
- Fluency in French is an asset
Applications should include a cover letter outlining experience, interest, and relevant skills as they relate to the operation of a non-profit cultural organization; current resume; and three references.
Applications must be received no later than midnight on Wednesday, June 21, 2018.
Email application to:
Subject Line: the8fest Search Committee.
the8fest is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and strongly supports and values diversity in the workplace. the8fest is committed to equity, diversity, accessibility, and inclusiveness in its employment practices and we respect the right of applicants and employees to fair and equitable treatment in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome and individuals from equity-seeking groups are encouraged to apply. We encourage persons with disabilities to contact the8fest to identify and discuss how we could accommodate them during the recruitment process. We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
the8fest is made possible through the generous support of: The Canada Council for the Arts, The Ontario Arts Council, and produced with the support of the City of Toronto through the Toronto Arts Council as well as our audience, filmmakers, volunteers, sponsors, and community partners.
Take a look at the8fest’s 2018 schedule!
tickets: screenings $8 // festival pass $40
9:00pm – ReFrame: Spotlights on Rebecca Baird and Marnie Parrell
Curated by Milada Kovacova
10:30pm – It’s All Fun & Games Until Somebody Breaks a Rule
Curated by Cameron Moneo
7:00pm – BAGEROO ELEVEN! Volume 2
9:00pm – Wanderlust: Spotlight on Rich Fedorchak
Curated by Milada Kovacova
11:00pm – D.I.Y. Subvert
Curated by Milada Kovacova
Accessibility and Venue
the8fest takes place at Beverley Halls SPK (Polish Combatants’ Hall). The address is 206 Beverley St. Toronto, ON – the entrance is on Cecil street, and there is an elevator to the festival space.
There is an all-gender accessible washroom. We will have care attendants available, and some artists have provided dialogue transcripts of their work.
If you have any access concerns, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Volunteer with us!
the8fest is always looking for a helping hand. If you’ve got some free time, we’d love to have you! Please contact us by email.