CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS: the8fest 2017
the8fest seeks your 8mm, Super-8, 9.5mm or other small gauge film
projects (such as loops and installations) for our 2017 festival being held January 26th to 29th, 2017.
Films can be:
- Experimental, animated, personal, handmade
- Diary and essay films, documentaries
- Live performance and music mixed with film
- Films from everyday culture - historical footage, home movies
the8fest exhibits all work on film. Works selected for the festival,
therefore, must be finished on small-gauge film (8mm, Super-8, Ultra Pan 8, 9.5
mm). We do not exhibit projects on video or digital.
the8fest uses professional small-gauge projection equipment
including Elmo GS-1200 and ST-1200 models. Our technicians and
programmers have many years experience specializing in small-gauge
film formats and technology. The greatest care will be taken in
handling, previewing, and projecting films.
Online submission form available here
DEADLINE: September 30, 2016
No Submission Fee!
For installations or performances: Please include detailed
technical requirements and any equipment needs. We have limited
resources for non-projection equipment (e.g. lights, multiple mics,
etc.) - the more information the better!
- First-time filmmakers, youth & under-serviced communities
- Submissions can be sent either on film or on a preview copy on
DVD, mini-DV or VHS formats or by link to online preview video
(sorry we can't accept video files by email or file transfer at
this time PLEASE NOTE: Exhibition is on film
- Our New Works program is limited to films from the past 5
years, but we’re always curious to include older projects in
other programs. Please feel free to get in touch if you have
older work you think we would be interested in previewing.
- Please include film/project description, artist biography and
- Artist fees (screening fees) paid to all selected
- Application requires the film/project be available for
exhibition in Toronto January 30th to February 1st, 2015 - Sound
on film, separate sound CD/cassette and live
performance/narration can all be accommodated. For separate or
“wild” sound, please record the soundtrack so that it cues at
first image, or provide clear instructions as to when to start
- Please note that the8fest will screen what is sent to us. The
leader with the film will be removed, unless the leader is
itself part of the film. the8fest’s projectionist assembles the
accepted films into sequenced programmes, so applicants should
make it clear where the projectionist can or should cut.
- MP3, AIFF, WAV, or other compressed audio (sound) files can be
sent by email.
- Cueing instructions should be included and clearly stated.
- Filmmakers with separate sound should not expect exact
audio synchronisation with their picture.
SEND YOUR COMPLETED SUBMISSION FORM + FILM OR PREVIEW + OTHER
the8fest Small-Gauge Film Festival
408 Queen Street West, #7
Toronto, Ontario M5V 2A7
**Please send all original films/previews by a postal service with
electronic package tracking.
U.S. and international submissions please attach an accurate customs
declaration, such as” Preview material for film festival. No
Please do not send submissions from the U.S. via UPS (United Parcel
CONTACT AND QUESTIONS:
(T) 001 + 416 - 703 - 2236
the8fest is made possible through the generous support of The Canada
Council for the Arts, The Ontario Arts Council, and the Toronto arts
Council as well as our sponsors, community partners and our audience.